Thursday 16 August 2007

"GO BANANAS" BREAD

cakebrain's go bananas bread

Ever have a sickly looking leftover banana or two that was all speckly brown and too mushy to eat? These bananas are perfect for banana bread but usually there aren't enough left over for a recipe, so I freeze them until I collect enough.

I was wondering why I couldn't ram anymore things into my freezer--until I brought out a huge clump of frozen bananas I had forgotten about.

The problem is, I haven't found the perfect banana bread recipe. I have some good ones, but they're not perfect. I like the banana bread at Starbucks and have been looking for a knock-off recipe. I figure there's brown sugar in theirs, so today I'm making a version with brown sugar to come as close as possible to the Starbucks one.

I don't like nuts but if you insist on adding textural interest, you can. I would add chocolate chunks or craisins. However, I like this banana bread best plain. If you're a health nut you can add 1/4 cup ground flax.


CAKEBRAIN'S GO BANANAS BREAD
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 1/2 sticks salted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
3 cups ripe bananas (about 7 medium) mashed
1 t vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 2 9 x 5 inch loaf pans.
  • In a medium bowl combine flour, soda and salt with a wire whisk; set aside.

  • In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add eggs, bananas, and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of bowl.

  • Add the flour mixture and then blend at low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.

  • Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake on center rack of oven for 60 to 70 minutes. A toothpick inserted in center should come out clean, and the bread should pull away from the sides.

  • Cool in pan, for 10 minutes. Turn pans on sides; cool to room temperature before removing and slicing.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin