Thursday 6 September 2007

WHITE CHOCOLATE CUPCAKES WITH WHITE CHOCOLATE MOUSSELINE BUTTERCREAM

bite me

I decorated these White Chocolate Cupcakes with White Chocolate Mousseline Buttercream (from Rose Levy Beranbaum's Cake Bible). Bebe helped decorate by dropping stars, chocolate shavings and mini chocolate chips on the buttercream.

naked cupcake

The recipe is super easy (which I like) but it is also delicious...with a beautiful white chocolate aroma and a moist crumb. I recommend it.


Here's the recipe I adapted from "Couture Cupcakes" to fit my new Le Creuset silicone baking pan.

Gargantuan White Chocolate Sour Cream Cupcakes
(source: Couture Cupcakes; adapted for 6-cup silicone pan)

140 grams/1 cup plain [all purpose] flour
142.5 grams/3/4 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
63 grams / 2 oz white chocolate
1/4 cup water
56 grams/ 1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sour cream, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 egg

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Place silicone tray on a cookie sheet.
3. In mixer, combine flour, sugar and salt.
4. Melt chocolate with butter and water. Allow to cool slightly.
5. Add melted chocolate mixture to flour mixture and mix lightly.
6. Add sour cream, vanilla, baking soda and egg and beat for 2 minutes.
7. Divide batter evenly into cupcake liners and bake for 30 - 35 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
8. Place silicone pan on a rack for 10 minutes to cool. Turn upside down and release the cupcakes onto a rack to cool further.
9. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.


13 comments:

Manggy said...

Yum! (I will have to look for the mousseline BC recipe...)

Jerry said...

I love the one with the stars. So cute!

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great receipe but you might like to double check the flour & sugar grams measurements...:)

Cakebrain said...

anonymous,
thanks for catching that! I didn't really use the grams when I made it, but used a converter just to publish the recipe for posting and I must have slipped up with choosing the criteria before converting it.

Unknown said...

You don't have to convert or double check anything. One measurement is based on weight and the other on volume. The recipe works as is and it's great!

Cakebrain said...

Diane,
:p

Anonymous said...

do you have to use the sour cream? just wondering because most recipes use it and I am unable to eat it.

Cakebrain said...

Anon,
Sour cream is pretty good at tenderizing the crumb and making it delicate. You can try full fat yogurt and see if that works. I haven't tried substituting with yogurt in this particular recipe, but think it may be okay. Tell me if you try it and if it works. It probably will have a different texture though.

Anonymous said...

So good post i like this post and i like your all blog and i hope to visit my blog Ancient Greece Food and more like Ancient Greece Religion thanks again admin ,,,

Anonymous said...

Do you have to use a silicone cupcake pan? I don't have one...

Cakebrain said...

Anon,
No, you do not have to use a silicone cupcake pan

crafting on a whim said...

Oh my yumminess!!! I just made the recipe and it is terrific. I am a tough cookie to please when it comes to food and sweets, this recipe passed the test. Two questions for you. Can the recipe be doubled and can it be used to bake layered cakes? Thanks again for sharing, totally yummy!

Cakebrain said...

Hey Crafting On a Whim,
thanks so much for the kind words! It's been several years since I baked these cupcakes. I haven't made them into a layer cake but for sure you should be able to double it for cupcakes no problem. If you double it and attempt the layer cake, let me know how it goes! You will have to keep an eye on the timing for baking the layers.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin