Monday 4 April 2011

SMALL BATCH BAKING: CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

700_1326P
Small Batch Baking:  Chocolate Chip Cookies! (yield:  8)


700_1299P
This is all you need:  ingredients for this small batch of chocolate chip cookies.  Amazing to think you can get 8 regular-sized cookies out of this!   You only need 1 tablespoon of the egg (beaten) and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla.   No foolin’. Save the egg in the refrigerator for your  next batch (tomorrow)!

700_1302P
Cream together 3 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened;  3 tablespoons each brown sugar and granulated sugar.

chocolate chip cookies1
To the creamed sugar mixture, add the 1 tablespoon beaten egg and reserve the rest in the fridge.  Add Vanilla extract.  Mix well.  Combine the flour and 1/8 teaspoon baking soda and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl.  Add the flour mixture to the creamed mixture.   Stir well to combine and then add the 1/2 cup chocolate chips.  I used Callebaut.

chocolate chip cookies
Divide the cookie batter into 8 equal portions.  Roll into balls and place on parchment-lined cookie sheet.  Bake at 375 degrees F for 10-13 minutes.    Allow to cool; remove to a baking rack to complete cooling.  [cakebrain’s note: we did not do this.  We ate them straight off the cookie sheet!]  Yields 8 cookies.

700_1327P
These were great out of the oven.  We ate more than half the batch (that’s 5 cookies, folks) right away.
What’s the point of baking a small batch?  Portion control.  And fresh-out-of-the-oven-cookies.  That, and it’s quite quick to make a small batch.  I didn’t whip out any electrical appliances.  I used a small bowl and a wooden spoon.  The author indicates to use a hand-held mixer.  To me, this defeats the point of making a small batch.  It’s too much washing-up.  These were fine made with the good ol’ wooden spoon. 

Small-batch baking is perfect for situations when there are only 1 or 2 of you in the household.  It appeals to people who don't like leftovers too.  If you prefer the fresh-baked smell and hot-out-of-the-oven-burn-your-mouth-sort of feeling, this way of baking is for you.  When I bake a batch of cookies, usually I have to bring more than half of them to work to share.  Now, this isn't necessarily a bad thing but it sure isn't as economical if you do a lot of baking.  Sometimes, I want to bake a great variety of things, but I can't because the counter is already full of my previous episodes of baking.

This recipe worked and it certainly satisfied our chocolate chip cookie cravings without endangering our waistlines.  In a super-sized society, it’s kind of nice to have this option to indulge without having to worry about having the will-power to have to stop at one.  That is, if you don’t eat the whole friggin’ batch by yourself.

I didn't buy Maugan's physical book but because I have a brand new iPad2, I went on Amazon and purchased the Kindle version to use on my Kindle and iPad2.  I bookmarked this recipe because it works and it's so quick.  Folks, this is the wave of the future.  I like the iPad2 because though I read novels primarily as an English teacher, I sure don't like the lack of colourful pictures on the Kindle.  The Kindle is great if you read tons of novels.  It's better on your eyes.  However, the iPad2 is great for magazines and cookbooks with colourful photographs of cakes and desserts [drool].

I can't tell you how relieved I am to be able to buy cookbooks again!  I am constantly restraining myself in bookstores because I have to weigh my desire with my physical space.  My bookshelves overfloweth with fantastic cookbooks I do not want to part with.  The  only drawback is not all books come in Kindle format yet.  That's my peeve.  I am also going to allow my Martha Stewart magazine subscription, my Cooks Illustrated subscription and my Fine Cooking subscription lapse.  I am loathe to dispose of all my magazines and it's just crazy.  I have MS magazines...and a whole bevy of others--dating all the way back to the 80's.  It's so difficult to find a recipe in all that even if you are organized and store them properly.

SMALL BATCH BAKING:  CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
[adapted from Small Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers by Debbie Maugans]
  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 3 tablespoons granulated white sugar
  • 1 tablespoon beaten egg [reserve the rest for later]
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
  2. Combine the flour, soda and salt in a small bowl.  Mix well.
  3. Cream the butter and sugars in a small bowl with a wooden spoon.  [Original instructions call for a hand-held mixer in a tall bowl, but I find that too bothersome.]
  4. Add 1 tablespoon beaten egg and the vanilla.  Mix well.
  5. Add the flour mixture and continue beating until thoroughly combined and you don’t see any traces of flour.
  6. Toss in the chocolate chips and distribute well.  Divide the cookie batter into 8 portions.  Form balls and space evenly on the cookie sheet.
  7. Bake for 10-13 minutes.  [Original recipe calls for 13-15 minutes but I pulled them out at the 13 minute mark…and thought they were a tad overdone because we like our cookies soft and gooey in the middle; not crispy.  If you like crunchy cookies, go with the longer time-frame.]

29 comments:

Magnolia Perez said...

What a neat post! Looking forward for more post from you. Thank you for sharing!

Mary said...

Your cookies are so perfect.

Unknown said...

I love recipes like this. Delicious, simple and classic. They look absolutely perfect, too!

amlamonte said...

oo i could totally make and eat this cookie dough and feel way better about myself than if i made and ate a full size batch! brilliant! :)

Shanna Schad said...

I just made these. I was craving a cookie ALL DAY. But all but one stick of my butter is frozen and I didn't feel like waiting all day to thaw it to make a full batch. I also wanted a peanut butter oatmeal choc chip cookie. So I added in a couple tbsp of quick cooking oats and a heaping tsp of peanut butter. Everything else the same. I stuffed one in my face and ran upstairs to my computer to comment how amazing this recipe is. Now I will try not to eat them all before my husband gets home from work. Thank you thank you thank you!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I love this post! Nice to have a small batch for a change :) I'm always iffy to cut down on recipe portions in baking. I just bought a bag chocolate chips and dying to try it out!

Mamaicymouse said...

After I saw this post I decided I had to make these cookies, just before the kids get home from school so they have a great little snack. I love baking and usually share what I make with friends and co-workers so a regular batch does not last long. These mini batches though are perfect for a quick craving. I love your blog by the way.

Unknown said...

Those cookies look delicious! Small batch baking is great, sometimes the dozens of cookies just doesn't make sense!

dmaugans said...

Thank you for the post! I invite anyone to let me know how their baking attempts go with Small-Batch Baking for Chocolate Lovers: www.smallbatchbaking.com.

Your cookies look perfect!

Cakebrain said...

Debby,
Thank you so much for the comment and for visiting! I think this book and your other one is perfect for my family! I do have the first one...bought a long time ago. I'm the only one who eats desserts (my girls are too young to put a dent in any full-batch recipe!) I've been eyeing some cake recipes and will be trying them soon!
Keep producing the great books!

Rosie said...

Thanks for posting this recipe! I tried it out on the weekend -- so quick and easy! I substituted the flour with white whole wheat flour and the chocolate chips with chocolate dipped bacon and extreme dark chocolate chips. Baking them for 12 minutes gave me the perfect chewy consistency I like.

Iqbal said...

These cookies look absolutely delicious! I can't wait to share this recipe with my friends - they love baking choc chip cookies!! Thanks for sharing this recipe :)

Hell& said...

DELICIOUS! :)
You can follow me? I follow you. THANKS! XXX.

Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Just made these and they turned out AMAZING. I ended up using Smart Balance organic spread (basically vegan butter) and they were SO good. I'd love to add peanut butter or oats next time. YUMMMM!

dreambamboo said...

This was awesome! I love not having to wash the mixer and I don't have to think about taking butter out, as we always have a small amount out in the crock. Yum yum yum! Any more small batch recipe? Alma

Cakebrain said...

Hey Alma!
glad you enjoyed the cookies!
In fact I have tried several small batch baking recipes and even come up with my own. I have both of Debbie Maughans' books...and haven't posted every recipe I've tried. If you something in particular you'd like to make, just let me know. You know how to reach me ;)
The next one you should try is the mini chocolate cake. It's perfectly sized and yummy!
http://cakeonthebrain.blogspot.com/2008/08/small-batch-baking-mini-chocolate-cake.html

Faith said...

These are great! I've made them several times and I just tried it with Whole Wheat Pastry flour instead of white flour and Truvia instead of the white sugar and it still came out soo good! Its great to make them a bit healthier without sacrificing taste!

Cakebrain said...

Faith,
good on you for making it healthier! I love it when it's healthier and just as tasty!

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious! I'm a newbie at baking ...how many ounces or ml would the half cup measure?

Cakebrain said...

Newbie,
250ml=1 cup=8 oz
therefore: 1/2 cup=125ml=4oz

Anonymous said...

I followed this recipe EXACTLY how it said to.. Twice. And both batches came out bad. The taste was really good! But they got too flat, spread out all over the parchment paper into one giant cookie, and stuck to it. I can peel the paper off either for the life of me. Still think it would work without the paper and a little cooking spray?

Cakebrain said...

Flat cookies,
1. Make sure your butter is cool and not melted or too soft
2. Oven temperature should be accurate
3. Make sure you measure ingredients carefully because you're dealing with such small amounts. A little too much butter (or not enough flour) might cause it to go flat
4. Put your cookie dough in the refrigerator until it's cold before you bake. That might help.
I actually think it's a butter temperature issue. Let me know.

Anonymous said...

Tried this! I doubled it. Perfect amount for our family! Great recipe!

Rosalie L. said...

The first day I made the recipe exactly as it said and it worked out fine and took less than twenty minutes. The second day I was out of chocolate chips when I made them again to use the remaining egg and so I put in a scant quarter cup of cocoa powder and about two teaspoons of nutella. That batch turned out great too.

Robyn said...

Thanks for this. I just made a regular batch of a different recipe and gorged myself and still have dozens left. Portion control, smorchion control, it seems.

Tina said...

Such an easy to make and so so tasty thanks!! :D

Cakebrain said...

Hey Tina,
thanks for agreeing with me that it is easy!

Robyn, Rosalie,
Isn't it great when we can adapt a recipe and it works! Love it when there's built-in portion control!

chocoholic said...

i love this recipe
but can i use oil instead of butter???

Cakebrain said...

Chocoholic,
I would use coconut oil. But not veg oil

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin